Contribution Terms of Service
We offer a general Contribution Terms of Service template for others as a model. Our terms were written in collaboration with University of Virginia General Council. We recommend reviewing your terms with relevant parties for your own collecting site.
Contribution Terms of Service:
You are being asked to contribute your recollections, photographic images, video, social media postings or other digital content to [insert institution here], which is creating a digital record of the [describe event, location, and date(s) here].
You may only submit material created entirely by you and not copied from or based, in whole or in part, upon any other photographic, literary, or other material, except to the extent that such material is in the public domain, or you have permission of the copyright owner, or its use is allowed by “Fair Use” as prescribed by the terms of United States copyright law. If you would like to refer or nominate material which you do not own, please contact us at [insert email address or link to google nominating form].
You must be 18 years of age or older to submit material. By submitting content through this form, you are granting [insert institution here] permission to disseminate, preserve, and use that content in connection with its educational and research mission, including promotional purposes, in all media in perpetuity. You retain ownership of and copyright in the material you share.
If you indicate on the form that your submission is “public,” your material may be published on the web (with or without your name, depending on what you have indicated) as part of [insert institution here] digital collections or exhibits. Otherwise, your material will only be available to [insert institution here]-approved researchers.
Submitted material must not violate any confidentiality, privacy, security or other laws. Please be aware that all submissions and any information associated with the submissions (email address, descriptive information, etc.) may be provided to federal, state, or local law enforcement or other government agencies pursuant to a lawful subpoena or otherwise as required by law.
We reserve the right to discard or mark private any submission that [institution] staff identify as irrelevant or for any other reason within their professional judgment. [Insert institution here] is not obligated to include your content in this project or preserve it in perpetuity.
Summary of Terms*
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Submitted material must be owned and/or created by you.
- You have the option of making your contribution public or private. If public, your content may be published as part of the Library’s digital collections (with or without your name displayed, depending on what you have indicated).
- All submissions will be available to Library-approved researchers and can be used by the Library from now on in support of its teaching and research mission.
- Your submission must not violate any laws. If we receive a lawful subpoena or court order, we may be required to turn over any submissions and related information (email address, descriptive information, etc.).
Published: April 25, 2019